- One-pager on the basics of the Fair Tax amendment from the Vote Yes for Fair Tax coalition
- One-pager on Racial Equity and the Fair Tax amendment from the Vote Yes for Fair Tax coalition
- A good longer read giving some of the history of why IL doesn't have a Fair Tax from a former reporter and public ed supporter who's been an education policy expert and commentator in Springfield for many decades, Jim Broadway. We highly recommend subscribing to his news service.
- Eric Zorn had a good debunking of many of the common arguments against the Fair Tax in his column this spring
- Op-ed from Cook Co Assessor Fritz Kaegi "How a graduated-rate income tax can increase school funding"
- Column on the Fair Tax benefits for the working class from Ralph Matire, head of the non-partisan Center for Tax and Budget Accountability.
- Calculator to see what you'd pay under new rates. 97% of taxpayers will pay the same or less under the graduated rates.
- Basic stats on local and state tax burden in IL. We have the 8th most regressive taxation system in the US---mostly because we do not have a graduated rate income tax.
- And here's our slide show we've been using for info sessions on the Fair Tax.
Public schools are playing a vital role in helping families through the current crisis and in the recovery period to come. The pandemic and school closures have made it clearer than ever that public schools are the center of our communities and our children’s education.Read more
Forty-three states, including Illinois, have closed K-12 schools for the remainder of the year. Mass closures and a sudden switch to crisis schooling from a distance have prompted reflections on the crucial role of schools for children and communities. It’s also prompted speculation about what changes might take place longer term as a result of the closings and the pandemic.
(Want this in your inbox? Sign up here.)Read more